Custom Designed Solutions
Off-the-shelf products are just that - designed for a typical application. But at ABTech we relish the challenge of tailoring ultra-precision solutions to meet the exacting needs of precision automation, motion, and metrology applications. Our focus on custom solutions, combined with a unique blend of expertise, translates into an unmatched ability to develop specialized systems for the most challenging applications.
Precision Motion Experts
We specialize in designing and manufacturing precision motion system solutions. That is at the core of everything we do from the component level to sophisticated turnkey systems. This singular mission has resulted in successfully designing and deploying a family of motion and metrology systems for precision-manufacturing application in industries from aerospace to semi-conductors.
Our project list represents a Who’s Who of companies requiring ultra-precision capabilities:
- General Electric’s industry-leading LEAP engine launch and Gen9X manufacturing
- NASA’s NuSTAR X-ray telescope
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab’s National Ignition Facility
- Fives Giddings and Lewis large capacity gage needs
- OptiPro Systems 5-axis optical metrology system
- Euro-rail inspection and safety requirements
- Princeton University research project at the South Pole
Our Company is Specifically Structured to Address Ultra-Precision Motion Needs
At ABTech we’re small enough to take the time to fully understand a customer’s performance requirements but large enough to execute in all phases. With two decades of experience, we recognize the exacting nature of precision specifications and tight geometric tolerances.
Unlike most of our competitors, we design and manufacture all the essential building blocks for ultra-precision applications: air bearings, rotary tables, linear slides, gages, etc. The attention to detail at every step of the process ensures that any custom system that we develop possesses the requisite precision and throughput to achieve the highest levels of productivity. And we pride ourselves on ensuring that our customers have control of the process from concept to delivery.
- Project Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Case Studies
Our project management skills are as precise as our technology and ensure scope and delivery integrity and excellent customer communications. With every custom project you can be assured that we will follow a vigorous and systematic process that includes:
- Gaining an understanding of your application
- Developing a clear and comprehensive project scope
- Design reviews, top level approval drawings and progress reports at every stage
- Designing and engineering an effective metrology gage or motion system
- Precision manufacturing including air bearing, oil hydrostatic and mechanical axes
- Customizing software and intuitive human machine interfaces (HMI)
- Acceptance test procedure development in partnership with the customer
- Assembly, certification testing, installation and operator training
All of which results in delivering a turn-key, integrated solution in the minimum time. At ABTech, we’re here to end your search and help solve your ultra-precision challenges.
Our mechanical engineers are adept at matching your application’s specific needs to an engineered solution. That means being able to determine individual axis performance and overall system accuracy based on your load capacity, stiffness, torque, inertia and other mechanical requirements. We understand the critical importance of proper set up and part holding and we’ll go beyond the system design to offer our expertise in creating custom fixtures and accessories.
We analyze motion profiles. We design and build human machine interfaces (HMI), digital read-out (DRO) displays and motion controllers. We carefully select encoders and other electronic components. We size and match the motor type to the application requirements (rotary AC & DC servo direct drives, linear motors, lead screws, ball screws, gear drives). We strive to mitigate electrical noise and tune servos. And we continuously evaluate commercially available motion control components to give you the most advanced yet cost-effective choices.
Our software team developed from the ground up our own MicroForm™ metrology software which covers a variety of form, orientation, and location measurements (see MicroForm software). MicroForm is the byproduct of collaboration with experienced industry QC technicians and machine operators to maximize ease-of-use, speed, and repeatability, and is architected to allow in-field updates.
This experience demonstrates our ability to write custom software programs to meet unique inspection applications and industry specific analysis needs. We provide custom application design, process development, CNC G-code programming, and application-specific front-end user interfaces.
Examples of custom design software include:
- Radial thickness measurement of engine bearings
- Dam height measurements on bearing raceways
- On-machine diameter measurement of large power generation components
With almost two decades of experience manufacturing ultra-precision air bearings, gages, and turnkey systems, we know what it takes to manufacture, align and inspect precision components. Our in-house precision milling turning and grinding capabilities include:
- CNC and manual milling
- CNC and manual turning
- ID, OD and surface grinding
- Finish lapping
- Mechanical and electrical assembly
- Inspection, certification testing and calibration
Manufacturing a precision part is only half the battle. The assembly and alignment process for individual motion components and multi-axis systems is also essential. The final step is certification testing to verify that the performance specifications are achieved. We assemble our precision inspection equipment and air bearing motion systems with sub-micron accuracy and repeatability, performance testing each system and certifying traceability to NIST (National Institute of Standards & Technology).
- EAS3000-2T for Stack Projection of GE-9X Engine
- Custom Air Bearing Radial Thickness Gage for Measuring Engine Bearings
- MicroForm µFG450/600 Large Capacity Roundness Gage for Fives Gidding and Lewis
- AT400 Direct Drive Rotary Air Bearing Installed at the South Pole
- Multi-functional Air Bearing Machines for NASA NuStar X-ray Telescope
- 5-Axis Air Bearing Metrology Platform for Optical Measurements
- 2-Axis Air Bearing Lathe and Metrology Work Cell for Manufacturing Transmission Parts
- 18,000 RPM Air Bearing Spindles for Image Scanning in Harsh Conditions
- 6-Axis Air Bearing Platform with 0.01 Micro Accuracy for Lawrence Livermore Ignition Facility
GET A QUOTE TODAY
Thank you for your interest in ABTech’s ultra-precision measurement tools and services.
Please tell us a little about what you need to accomplish and we will be in touch to discuss any of the additional details that will help you choose your best option.
Thanks a lot for your help. Your rapid, informative correspondence was invaluable. Hopefully I won't be bothering you with any further questions, but it's good to know you're willing. (following remote technical support provided for system installed at the South Pole)Morgan HedgesPost-doctoral Research Associate
Every product we sell exemplifies our company-wide commitment to "Pride in Precision" craftsmanship. To that end, all of our products are designed, manufactured, and tested exclusively by ABTech at our New Hampshire facility.