Automotive Manufacturer Selects ABTech to Help Return Manufacturing to the US
A leading manufacturer of OEM automotive parts contracted ABTech to design and manufacture a turnkey work cell to solve an international sourcing logistics problem. Increasingly tighter part tolerances on transmission parts were becoming more difficult to achieve through typical off-shore sourcing channels.
ABTech was called upon to develop a combination metrology and machining system that would measure valve shaft components and then machine precisely matched corresponding sleeves. Piece part cost concerns meant the system had to efficiently produce parts with high through-put and low scrap rate requirements in addition to being very accurate.
These air bearing based metrology and 2-axis lathe work cells began producing saleable inventory on the day of installation, bringing manufacturing back to the US.
Work Cell Features:
- Metrology station with:
- Vertical Z axis motorized linear air bearing column
- Counterbalance pulley with air bearing sleeve
- Motorized air bearing rotary table with part holding chuck
- High accuracy non-contact laser micrometer
- Machining station with:
- Stacked X and Y axis motorized linear air bearing stage
- High speed air bearing spindle with pneumatic collet
- Granite surface plate with vibration isolation air bag base
- Controller includes:
- Delta Tau motion controller
- Industrial PC with application software
- Operator control panel with remote pendant